Wednesday, January 25, 2012

You're NOT alone.

Today, I watched a documentary on the Golden Gate bridge. It's focus is really on all the suicides of the people who jumped off. The director set up a camera, left it for a year and just recorded. During the opening credits you watch an elderly man jump to his death. It's a VERY powerful movie, and incredibly haunting. No pun intended.

I live about nine hours away from the Golden Gate Bridge. But I live pretty close to the Coronado Bay Bridge. Just last week, someone committed suicide on it. The freeway was shut down, and you know what people were upset about? The death of a human being, who rather they knew it or not was very loved? The death of someones child, grandchild, sibling, parent, loved one?! No. People were worried because they were STUCK IN TRAFFIC. There are people who were recorded on the news saying they were irate because someone "decided to take the easy way out" and because of this they were late to wherever they were trying to go.

How heartless can people be that they're so worried about being a tiny bit inconvenienced, more so than someone jumping to their death? This persons life is OVER. These people have at least one person who loved them. That person's life is forever changed. And people are worried about being LATE?! It's kinda funny when you think about it, because no one is ever this worried about being punctual any other time.

"It is the third deadliest suicide bridge in the USA. Between 1972 and 2000, more than 200 suicides were committed on the bridge. "

This statistic is now twelve years old. The average rate was about seven people per year, if that's kept up at that exact rate, that's eighty six more people. (Roughly, there's decimals.) 282 people have died on that bridge in forty years. Now of course, there could be more, there could be less. I'm having a hard time finding a more recent statistic.

This depresses me so much. It's so sad when I hear about people dying, especially by suicide.

I know what it's like to feel like you have nothing left to live for. I know what it's like to feel that low. I know what it's like to feel so very alone. To feel like it's you by yourself against the whole wide world, and the whole wide world is giving all the fight they've got, and your fight is mediocre at best. I know what it's like. I've been there. I've done that. I've got two attempts under my belt. It isn't my favorite thing to talk about, but I can't deny that it happened. Because I know how it feels, I will never turn someone away if they come to me.

Please, anyone reading this, know that though it may feel like it, you're not alone. There is someone out there who loves you. I love you. Everyone is beautiful and has a right to live. Just take it one day at a time. You can do it, and no matter who you are, I will always be right here to help you along however I can.

1 comment: